Monday, December 6, 2010

Dec. 4th Tourney at Showcase Comics, Media PA PART 2


Part 2 of my tourney report.  
1850 points played on December 4th, 2010, see my previous post for my list.

Round 1
 
Mission: Modified Seize Ground (terrain was either on fire/dangerous or smoking/+1 cover, points for both objectives and KP, bonus for having HQ left, Bonus for having HQ in enemy deployment zone)
Opponent: Walter, playing Dark Eldar
Walters DE List:
Adrubeal Vect
Haemonculous w/ liquifier
Haemonculous w/ liquifier
9 Wyches w/ haywire grenades, razorflails 1 hekatrix, agonizer in a Raider w/ flicker field and night shields
10 warriors, SC, Blaster, Sybarite, agonizer in a raider w/ flicker field and night sheilds
10 warriors, SC, Blaster, Sybarite, agonizer in a raider w/ flicker field and night sheilds
10 warriors w/ Dark Lance, sybarite
10 warriors w/ Dark Lance, sybarite
3 Incubi w/ Klaivex in a Venom w/ flicker field, night shields
1 Void Raven, night shield, flicker field, 4 x necro missles 2x dark lances
1 Ravager w/ nightshield, flicker field, disintegrators
1 Ravager w/ nightshield, flicker field, dark lances

Summary: Walter was just getting into the serious scene, so this was also his first tourney.  I was not sure what to expect from Dark Eldar.  We had 5 objectives pretty much evenly spaced out.  I deployed castled up on a smoking ruin with an objective in it.  The 2 adjacent objectives were easy to grab as I began to be comfortable spreading out a bit with my rhinos.  By turn 5, I had 3 objectives.  I had also contested his only objective with my terminators, he contested the last objective which I had on my home with his wytches. I think one more turn and I might of had them all! The DE were indeed fast and their lances were pretty scary just in that there were alot of them.  I think the suppressive fire was the key to keeping them at bay.  However, even with all I had, a venom and a raider still made it to me and of course they were the HQ death squad one and the Wytch/Homoculous one!
Some key moments were:
-I reinforced the smoking ruin my tac squad and thunderfire were in giving it a 2+ cover save!  His wytches made it into there and I was not able to get them out. Man was I missing my heavy flamers then! This is the objective they managed to contest.
-His scary command squad had a chance to take a tac squad but decided to fight one of my dreads first, this made him tie this squad up for 2 turns before they lost combat and fell back, only to be shot to death. A major mistake on his part, and probably saved me a squad or 2.

Walter was a really cool dude going for his doctorate in Philly.  He had a great attitude and was really appreciative of the game.

WIN: 18 Points including having my HQ alive and in enemy deployment zone
Opponent score: 2 Points including having one HQ alive and in my deployment zone (with his wytches)

Round 2

Mission: Football (infantry pick up objective/football, whoever holds it at the end wins the points. Bonus for killing all enemy troops, bonus for killing all enemy HQ's)
Opponent: Brian, playing Deamons of Chaos
Brians Deamon List:
Fateweaver
2x Deamon princes of nurgle with some shooting attack and flying
Blood Thrister
5x Bloodcrushers (that apparently count as infantry!)
10+Bloodletters
2x squads of 5 Plague Bearers

Summary:  Brian is an experienced player from the Inner Circle Gaming Club so I was a bit worried on top of the fact that Deamons of Chaos have always given me a really hard time.  Power weapons everywhere, multi wound MC's that fly and have eternal warrior, spells that arent psychic powers, deep striking up in my face... No good at all!

So the big advantage that I felt I had on this mission was that only infantry could hold the football and I had a lot of infantry. I took first turn even though I had no targets and rushed my rhinos up and started walling off a channel with my other vehicles give my Termies a safe corridor to run back with the football.  By going first it gave me 2 movement phases before I had to worry about  being assaulted.  This worked great and I was able to hold the nasties off for quite a while.  I feed the bloodcrushers and princes a rhino, then the squad, then another rhino, and another squad, etc... each turn denying them my termies.  Until turn 4. Then fateweaver reached them.  I was suprised that he used fateweaver for assault but I think it was just to tie my guys up.  He killed my librarian in CC right off the break, eliminating Null Zone from my arsenal.  I blocked the bloodcrushers with my tanks and a large piece of impassable terrain, keeping them stuck at the mid point of the table.  As turn 5 approached, I knew he was going to break my line, so I charged the bloodcrushers with my autocannon dread, which kept them tarpitted for the rest of the game.  Sadly though, a nurgle prince finally made it past my road blocks and into my termies.  After 2 rounds with fateweaver and the prince, the 5th TH/SS termie finally fell and dropped the football on turn 6.  Had the game ended turn 5, I would of had the football and won!  He got 4 points for killing my HQ, I had 0 since I didnt kill all of his HQ's and didnt have the ball :(


All in all, I think I did amazingly well on this match, I dont know how I could of done anything different and had I not failed that final 3+ invul save or had the game ended after turn 5, it would of been a win.  Brian was a fun player who was not too intense and we kept some fun in the game.  He also had some awesome forgeworld greater nurgle deamon models which were really cool to see on the table.

LOSS: 0 points
Opponent Score: 4 points for killing all of my HQ choices (I had only 1)

Stay tuned for the final part of my report......

No comments:

Post a Comment