Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dec 4th Tourney at Showcase Comics, Media PA PART 3

The final part of my tourney report:

Round 3
Mission: Kill Everything (Annihilation with Victory points in lieu of kill points, bonus for having HQ alive at end, bonus for HQ being in enemy deployment zone at end)
Opponent: Kevin, playing Blood Angels
Kevins Blood Angel List:
Commander Dante
Mephiston, Lord of Death
5 x Thunder hammer/Storm Shield Terminators
1x Sanquinary Priest
Land Raider Redeemer w/ Multi Melta, Extra Armour
10x Tactical Marines, Melta Gun, Lascannon, Power Weapon
10x Tactical Marines, Metla Gun, Lascannon, Power Weapon
10x Assault Marines w/ Jump Packs, 2x Melta Guns, Power Weapon
Predator with lascannons


Summary: I didnt actually read Kevins list up front, I let him tell me what he had, and I was a bit nervous.  You hear all the time how Mephiston will kill your family and friends and even your dog and sometimes even your friends dog!  Also, I am never a fan of those Furious Charge, 3+ invul, TH, Feel no pain termies.

I took first turn and castled up on the right corner with my dreads on my flanks and my thunderfire on a tall piece of terrain giving it total control of the board.  I kept my termies in reserve. He deployed his 2 tactical squads on each side of his deployment zone in cover and had his Redeemer and Pred on the left (his right) in the back hanging out with Mephiston.  Dante and the jump marines were in reserve.

I moved the bikes flat out to the land raider, positioned my castle and shot half of one of his tacticals to death.  Mephiston failed to cast his flight spell, helping me for one turn. The redeemer moved forward 12, flamed a biker causing one wound, and his termies got out and multi assaulted 2 of the bikes and killed them. He stunned a predator in the shooting phase. 

Turn 2 I popped the redeemer with the attack bike, then focused fire on the terminators. Tried to slow them down with the thunderfire special ammo, but they wound up rolling a 6 for movement anyways.  Mephiston killed the biker to protect his las pred on his turn.  He wrecked a razorback with a lascannon shot.

Turn 3 my termies came in behind his full left tactical.  I cast The Avenger on his perfectly lined up tactical in cover and killed 6 marines (gotta love the AP3 flamer). I shot everything into the terminators bringing down 2, they then charged one of my dakka dreads wrecking it. Dante and his marines jumped to my right flank popping a razorback with all their melta. Mephiston, doubled back using his flying power and charged my termie squad, fighting my librarian causing 3 wounds, which I saved on a 3+ !!!.  Now apparently, the Lord of Death, does not have an invul save? My 10 thunderhammer attacks mashed him into space vampire mush as they struck back. 

Turn 4 My librarian left the termie squad, finished off the remainder of his tac squad in cover with another Psychic AP3 Flamer shot.  My Termies headed over to the predator which had not moved and scored like 10 penetrating hits and blew it up. I fired some melta and krack and autocannons from my right dread and rhino at the assault squad.  I finished off his right side tac with my predator. Then fired everything left into the terminators -  4 small templates from thunderfire, 1 krack missle, 1 melta gun, 3 lascannons, 1 autocannon, 10 rapid fire bolters, and a storm bolter. Killing the sanquinary priest right away (bye bye FNP) and taking them down!  The right side dakka dread then charged the assault marines on my right side, killing 2, winning the combat.  They failed leadership and died.

TABLED!

I earned max points (20) for the VP's, plus 1 for killing all enemy HQ's, plus 1 for having my HQ in his deployment zone in the end for a total of 22 points. I would of wont best round 3 battle points, but I tied with Dameon and he beat me on painting score -  I wasnt fully painted and lets face it... Dameons Thousand Sons look bad ass!  Here is a link:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=300005&pIndex=2&aId=11600017&start=3

Kevin had a couple bad rolls, but overall I just dont think his list was good for this type of mission.  Each unit was over 250 points and so I only had to kill like 5 things to win.  He also had the 2 tactical squads try to out shoot me, which just wasnt going to happen - I am gunline, you are blood angels, nuff said.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I really enjoyed my first tourney.  Overall, the players were fun.  There was plenty of net list cheeze, some pretty Army Painter Quick Shaded Armies, and of course every special character imaginable from Strahken, to Urien, Mephiston, and even an Ultra Marines version of Vulkan- Imagine that! Showcase Comics has an amazing set up with plenty of tables, great terrain, a bathroom, and a chick fil a across the hall!  Mike runs a great outfit (though I thought he was going to cook).

Coming in 2nd best general was a big surprise. I believe that puts me in at 4th place, they should be posting the total points sometime soon at :
http://www.biggunz-ne.com/

Not too bad for a first timer.  I know I need to go back and finish up my models and refine the ones I had painted already. I also think a display board is important for paint score. I  felt a bit out of place in carrying my army in an upside down warhammer fantasy skull pass box top.

With my baby due early Jan, I think this will be it for me for a while, though I will be trying to play casually at Dream Wizards in rockville as much as possible.

-My 2 Cents

No comments:

Post a Comment